Thursday, April 15, 2010

travel log - day 1

I apologize there will be no pictures from my trip in this post. You see, I got a new camera a month ago and I am still figuring it out.  While I managed to download the new software to my computer, that is as far as I've gotten in the process.  I really thought that it was going to happen last night but alas, I found myself uncharacteristically tired at 9:30 and in a state of bewilderment decided to be mature about it and go to bed even though it wasn't even dark yet (might as well get used to it now). That's right, it's still kind of light out at 10pm these days - very weird.     

But I will take a moment here to tell you all about some of the highlights of my trip.

We had 4 lovely days on the island of Oahu and we saw a lot in that time.  I'm not one to lounge on the beach all day - I get antsy and honestly, I just can't take that much sun.  And well, our hotel wasn't the sort of place that you'd want to spend more time than you have too. (btw, let me know if you are looking for a dirt cheap place to stay in Waikiki, because I found one.  The location is great and the room was clean - if that's all you care about, this place is a bargain.)

Day 1: We got up early and walked down the beach.  We wandered around, went to nice little aquarium, checked out some of the fancy hotels. (Note: don't confuse the Royal Hawaiian with the Royal Grove, they are booth pink, but the similarities end there.  We stayed at the Royal Grove, not the Royal Hawaiian and probably saved thousands of dollars, but our lobby just didn't compare.)

In the afternoon we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center - which I really enjoyed.  I learned how to make coconut milk (and by learned I mean in the sense that I learned how to make wedding cakes by watching Martha Stewart make wedding cakes - now that I've seen someone else do it, there is a chance that in a pinch I could do it myself.).  I also learned that I like Hawaiian music and poi in very small quantities.  The very best part was the show, Ha the Breath of Life.  It was really impressive - lots of dancing - hard to explain but I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I Love Hawaii! The PCC Eye Candy... the BEACH! Did you hit up the International Market Place?? Loved that! haha

    ReplyDelete