Monday, September 27, 2010

christmas stocking in August?

That's right, because I'm a planner and I'm also obsessive like that.  So I realized that I left y'all in the lurch.  A while back I had just gotten started with my tale of funemployment when I pulled a to be continued and then got all caught up in the wonders of the golden arches before finishing my story.  I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seats wondering what happened next and how I got from Fairbanks, Alaska to Washington, DC (er Springfield, Virginia, rather).  And well I'm going to tell you, eventually.  

When I left off I'd just sold my uncooperative car, packed my bags, given away half of my belongings to good will and boarded a plane for Salt Lake City.  Well as you may or may not know, most flights from Alaska to the lower 48 are red-eyes.  I don't know why this is so but it means that the airports are bustling between 11pm and 2am give or take an hour.  So after doing battle with the lady at the Frontier counter, I checked my 4 bags and proceeded to sneak on the rest in my over sized carry-on's.  I was so exhausted that I had little trouble sleeping on the plane and before I knew it I was waking up as we approached Denver.  And then from Denver to SLC I flew on the smallest plane I had ever been on - this is where I put in my plug for Dramamine, it's my miracle drug.   

Back in SLC it was sort of like my whole Alaskan experience was just a dream... but maybe that's just because I had just seen inception and had lost my spinny top toy along the way....hmmm.  Anyway, it was good to be home and especially nice to have all my sisters at home (or near home, at least).  There was lots of good shopping and eating and crafting to be had.

Finding some time on my hands I embarked on a project, Christmas Stockings.  And as with all good projects, this project was booth pertinent and useful but required careful planning.  Our family's stockings were seriously dated and as we recently grown in number it seemed like a logical time to make new ones.  We set out for inspiration at the local fabric stores.  And I fell in love with this lovely cream wool (see previous posts about my obsessions with wool).  It's a fabulous herringbone weave and like I said I love it.  We took it home and washed a couple times in hot water to thicken it up a bit and paired it with corduroys and Christmas prints.  We have plans of embroidering them but we haven't gotten that far yet.  

I'm sad that I didn't think to take pictures, 'cause they're pretty darn cute even unfinished, if I do say so myself.  But as I've said before, I'm just not a picture taking, documentative type of blogger - I'd say I'd work on it, but nah, I probably won't.       

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you can make an exception of your photo taking tendencies for such an occasion? I would love to see the stockings and have always been impressed with your family's artistic skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee I am heading to your mom's and can see them.. ... 'hope this posts this time

    ReplyDelete