Monday, March 21, 2011

love and celibacy

I've been thinking about love - inescapable and elusive.  One of my favorite movies lines goes something like: there are as many forms of love as there are moments in time.  (10 points to the first person to name the movie.)  And isn't that the case?  I don't claim to know anything about romantic love, I'm not even sure that I know what it is.  Notwithstanding all the Jane Austin movies I know by heart, I don't know that I even believe in that sort of love, the sort that turns your world upside down, the sort that lasts forever.  

But, despite my general confusion about coupling, I think I know something about love.  I have loved, I love, I have felt loved and I have witnessed love.

On the other hand, I do know celibacy.  Yep, I said it.  I am celibate.  And from my own experience, I can say that it is highly underrated.  Celibacy is elegantly simple.  And while there are many things that I may want, I don't need someone to share my bed and I have managed quite well at taking care of myself.  I am no island - I have been incredibly blessed by the love and support of friends and family, and that is all I need.  At the end of the day, I don't come home to a husband, or boyfriend, or even a cat.  But before I go to sleep, I kneel beside my bed and check in with my Father in Heaven.  And it is in those moments that I know that I am home. 

6 comments:

  1. Maggles, I seriously LOVE you! Definitely something I've been thinking about a lot. And I'm so grateful for your honesty and and virtue and testimony of the things that are right! I want to be just like you--you are one of my heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mags, that was beautiful. seriously, dolly parton will probably be contacting you to write the lyrics for her next hit! but i have been thinking about love a lot lately too, especially with all the boyfriends and fiances that hang around my apartment. it is such a curious thing. but one thing is for sure, I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. E - I'm glad that you didn't think I was just being a hater, per usual ;)

    A - You know how I love Dolly. This does have a bit of a "hard candy christmas" tone, maybe I should try my hand at writing lyrics.

    One thing I know for sure is love is good. Thanks Elyse and Abbey, I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! i guess I am the first to answer your quote challenge... Maggie it is totally from mansfield Park said by the dreamy edmund.

    I love you! I have to admit that I am married and a mother now and I still don't think I understand love. One thing is for sure, I was not prepared for the overwhelming sense of love that came with my little baby. It shocks me all the time the crazy feelings I have gained.

    I am also coming the realization that my love for my wonderful family is a force to be reckoned with. Don't mess with my family because I am likely to sprout out the force of katie kaboom!

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 points to Ashley! It's about time someone caught that reference. I love that movie so much that I feel like I shouldn't really have to include a reference, like it somehow cheapens the film or something. And thank you for your insights as one of the mysterious married folk that I just can't figure out. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Maggie .YOU are so truly wonderful... you made me cry. what a tender insight into the 'meaning of life' How I love you and am so happy to know you love me too.
    A- you are right there is nothing like famliy

    ReplyDelete