Friday, February 26, 2010

ahhh snap!

Cold snap that is.  Just when I was getting used those positive temperatures we plunged right down to 20 below.  I know, I know, I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and I should learn to suck it up but I think I'll whine about it for a while first.

Every morning my radio turns on at 6:30 and I listen to NPR as I drift in and out of consciousness until I persuade myself to get out of bed.  It's funny, sometimes my dreams and the news get oddly mixed up - like I can't remember if I heard it on the radio or dreamed it and if I heard it, did I hear it right. Anyway, I listen for temperature so that I plan my day accordingly.  On mornings that it is 20 below I am inclined to roll over and pull the covers over my head until I remember that just because it's cold outside doesn't mean that I don't have to go to work.  It's a sad reality some mornings and it requires some special planning in the wardrobe department.  I pull out the wool socks and forgo my cute wool coat for my ginormous michellan man coat (a.k.a. the sleeping bag with sleeves). A good hat, mittens and a scarf are a must. If it's any colder than negative 20, I might put on leggings under my pants.  All this so that I can walk from my house to my heated garage, drive into town and walk to blocks two the court house.  

I had just gotten used to heading off to work in my wool coat and some mittens.  The last few days I hadn't even needed to plug in my car.  But most of all I love being able to go outside and breathe without icicle forming in my nose and not feel like my skull is going to crack open from the cold. 

Alas, winter isn't done quite yet.  Here's to hoping that this cold snap doesn't last long.

1 comment:

  1. So, once upon a time we had a rule that Seminary was cancelled if it was colder than -30... And my Junior year we only went 2 days in February. :) Helps put it into perspective! But I don't have much room to talk cause it was 60* here today. I'll send warm thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete