Tuesday, April 20, 2010

day 3 - Easter

Our third day on Oahu just happened to Easter - absolutely the least traditional Easter of my life but definitely memorable.  It also happened to be General Conference* weekend and though we couldn't figure out how to watch it live, thanks to the miracle of the internet, I've been able to listen to it since I got home.  

So we didn't go to church but we did go to brunch at the Marriot Hotel - a couple blocks from our stellar bargain hotel.  It was oh so yummy, they had this bread pudding stuff that made me weak in the knees.  (I have a weakness for just about anything called pudding.)  

After that we went to go see Queen Emma's Summer Palace but as it was closed we wandered around the garden for a bit.  On our way there we happened upon the Punchbowl Cemetery, where (I learned later) casualties of Pearl Harbor are buried.  It was really pretty but as it started to rain as soon as we got out of the car, I took no pictures.  

In the afternoon, we went to Pearl Harbor where we toured a submarine and the USS Missouri - aka the Mighty Mo.  Now those are some crazy huge guns! 

It was on this battleship the we signed the peace treaty with Japan that ended World War II.  
In the distance you can see the USS Arizona Memorial.

In the evening  we decided to go see the Temple.  The Temple was closed but the visitor center was open.  We met a very nice sister missionary who shared this video of Elder Hollands testimony of the atonement.  It is such a good reminder of the reason that we celebrate Easter.  Please watch it.

This Easter Sunday I was reminded of the great sacrifices that have been made on my behalf and through which I am blessed.  My blessings are truly countless.  I am so thankful for those who have heroically defended this country, placing their very lives at stake to preserve the freedoms I enjoy.  And yet, the greatest sacrifice was made our Savior Jesus Christ, through whom we all may live again and return the presence of our Father in Heaven.  I am overcome with gratitude as I ponder the implications the Savior's infinite atonement.  I know that Christ lived and died for us, that he conquered death and that he will come again - I look forward to that day.  

Happy belated Easter!

* twice a year the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a general conference in which the Prophet, Apostles and other church leaders address the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment