Today being Earth Day, I've been thinking about this amazing planet that we live on. I'm definitely a fan of Earth and I want to do my part to make sure that it remains a nice place for us to live for a long time. So, I've been thinking of things that I could do/improve on to help out the planet. I'm really good at coming up with excuses and sometimes I just get overwhelmed. But there are a few things that I've been meaning to change for a while now.
1) Start recycling. I've been so bad here in Fairbanks, my excuse is that I'm only here temporarily but that is a lousy excuse for doing something I know is wrong.
2) Eat less processed foods and less animal products. I've been pretty good lately about limiting my meat and dairy lately. I won't cut it out entirely but I think that I could be more careful. The toughie is going to be giving up my frozen entrees. I have gotten in the habit of bringing a lean cuisine (or equivalent) to work with me for my lunch. I'd really like to get into the habit of preparing my lunches the night before - less packaging, less mystery ingredients, less weird chicken.
3) Drive less, walk more. This one's convenient because it is once again pleasant to walk about outside without any special equipment.
4) Read more, less tv/computer. Also easier now that it's beautiful outside. I do enjoy reading good book in the sunshine.
5) Plant a garden. I actually started this last Saturday and I admit that it is a bit of a science experiment but even if it doesn't yield anything edible, it's a learning experience.
Well, that's about it for now - no more excuses.