Monday, November 14, 2011

out of small things

I've been making making these balloons out of church programs in Sacrament meetings for as long as I can remember. Totally digging the maps and garland twist to my otherwise useless pass time. Put's a whole new spin on folding maps, thanks Poppytalk.


Speaking of church, over the weekend, I discovered President Uchtdorf's talk, Providing in the Lord's Way, from Priesthood meeting*. And there's some really good stuff in there. He speaks of the welfare program and Lord's continual exhortation to care for the poor. I especially liked this part here:
"The lesson we learn generation after generation is that rich and poor are all under the same sacred obligation to help their neighbor. It will take all of us working together to successfully apply the principles of welfare and self-reliance."

Because, even though I know that I am the beneficiary of rich blessings sometimes I feel like I am too poor to help. And it doesn't really matter if my income is above or below the national median or what percent I happen to fall into. We are all obliged to help our neighbors and seek out the poor - myself included.



* I feel like this message holds special significance, as it is addressed to the men of the church in light of the current social and economic events. It feels quite progressive, but I don't won't speculate further here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment