Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I read a book: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Back in November I announced my sabbatical from the news, declaring that I was going to stop reading the news and start reading books. Well, this sabbatical has been really good for me. My anxiety levels have dropped as I have stopped listening to the incessant jabber about the unemployment rate. I know that it's bad and that's good enough for me. And I could care less about the republican primaries - all of them heartless idiots in my book and I don't need to be reminded. These days I've been reading books on the metro instead of NYT editorials or whatever free newspaper they happen to be handing out in the metro. And it's been delightful.

While some of the books I've read haven't been worth mentioning, just this morning, I finished a great book: Hotel and the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jaime Ford. It's more than a love story, it's a story about love. A story about new love, old loves, love between friends, love between husband and wife, parent and child. It's also about and incredibly dark time in our nation's history. A time when we imprisoned over 100,000 people of Japanese decent during WWII. Most of these people were citizens of the United States and all were deprived or their liberty and property without trial or hearing. And yet the book remains sweet even while tackling some really awful issues.

I couldn't recommend it more highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment