Tuesday, October 25, 2011

out of small things

I used to hear people talk about how they couldn't watch the news because it made them depressed and I'd roll my eyes. And I'd think, are we watching the same stuff? Don't you want to know what's going on in the world?

But, you know what? I've kind of had it. with the news. the papers, the radio, the tv (all of which I get online these days).

It all just seems like a lot of arguing... the economy is continually in one sort of crisis or another... wars going on all over the place... we're poisoning the planet... people are dying. It all just seems so unwieldy, what's a girl to do?

And then I remember this:

"... I, the Lord, declare unto you, 
and my words are sure and shall not fail... 
but all things must come to pass in their time. 
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing
for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great." 


The beauty of Christ's atonement is we aren't required to fix all of the world's problems. We are asked to do good. And when we do good, our meager contributions are made holy through the power of the atonement. There are so many opportunities to do good in this world that we need never let the heavy problems of the world weigh us down. Mine is to get to work and trust in the generosity of God, as well as the power of Christ's atonement to provide for our needs and make me better than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment