Friday, September 30, 2011

preparing for general conference

In years past, I've embarked on intense training programs and set lofty goals of reviewing all the talks from the past conference on the week before the next. But this time, I just couldn't do it. It's not that I don't have the time, I have loads of time these days but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. In lieu of my traditional pre-conference read-a-thon, I've been thinking, taking inventory of my life and exploring my options. Because, this stage of my life is a gift - a gift I didn't ask for, a gift I didn't prepare for. But it's a gift, for which I am immensely grateful and intent on using. So here I sit, pondering this gift that I don't even quite understand and comes with great responsibility and unknown possibilities. 

So this weekend, while listening to conference, I'll be knitting* and pondering what I'm going to do with the rest of my life**.




* Some traditions are sacred, more about my new knitting project later.
 
** I was recently fortunate to attend a fireside-of-sorts with Elder Bednard. And he said, "It wasn't until I was called to be an apostle that I knew what I was going to do with the rest of my life." I paraphrase, but it was kind of refreshing to realize that its something we all have to do - deciding what to do with our lives and it isn't something that we do once but continually throughout our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment